Sunday, December 03, 2006

Ginger bells, ginger bells, ginger all the way!

I saw the sign ‘Ginger belles, ginger bells, ginger all the way’ hanging up in the City House of Fraser and it did make me smile. I think it was promoting some beauty treatment but as well as being a festive greeting for the ever-lovely flamed-haired H, it has reminded me of a handy little ginger and chocolate recipe that I think I’ll make in some of M’s vast collection of M&S little white (available with cheese soufflés or crab gratins) ceramic ramekins. I cannot remember where the original recipe came from; it may have been Waitrose Food Illustrated last year but I remember that it was easy and very tasty!

CHOCOLATE GINGER POTS - For four people

· Chop up four balls of stem ginger and place a quarter into each ramekin

· Melt 125g of chopped dark chocolate in a large heatproof bowl.

· Meanwhile, bring 400ml single cream to a boil in a small saucepan and simmer for 1 minute.

· Pour the boiled cream through a sieve onto the melted chocolate

· Add 3tbsp of ginger syrup from the jar and stir until well combined.

· Divide mixture amongst the four ramekins and chill until set.

· Serve with a few slivers of ginger, a drizzle of ginger syrup and a little whipped cream (if desired).

I made a large bowl of this chocolate ginger dessert last year, as I didn’t have enough ramekins but I am pretty sure M has enough little M&S ramekins for a small village. I think she may have a serious soufflé and crab gratin habit!

Update: I did make this recipe again this Christmas to go with all the savoury nibbles for the family festive feast. I topped each one with a chocolate covered nugget of stem ginger - just because I happened to have them to hand.

M does indeed have the world's largest collection of ramekins (this dish didn't even use a quarter of them) but has kindly donated a stack each to both D and myself so she can start collecting more of them in the new year. You never know when you're going to need a little white ramekin!

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

Chocolate and ginger - can there actually BE a better combination? I definitely want to give these a try over Christmas. Great pictures, by the way :-)