Thursday, February 26, 2009

Duck and cover

I was combing an unfamiliar supermarket for inspiration today and espied the butcher’s counter. Ideally I would prefer a nice independent butcher’s but these are almost extinct nowadays. The plump duck breast seemed to be calling me and being a butcher’s counter at least I could purchase a single one.
After the obligatory criss-cross scoring of the skin to allow the roast potato adoring duck fat to render and to crisp up the skin I pop the breast skin-side down into a hot pan. After about 10 minutes I drained off the fat (dreaming of future roasties) and flipped the breast to be flesh-side down in the pan for another 5 minutes. Removing the duck from the pan I added a healthy glug of Balsamic Vinegar and a squirt of runny honey (probably about a tea spoon). After it has reduced the duck was popped back in the pan and turned in the unctuous glaze. Then leaving to rest for a few minutes it was served with creamy leeks with bacon lardons. And it was good!