Wednesday, April 04, 2007

The return of the duck

To celebrate D & MC's collective birthdays last year I held my surprise duck themed duck-tacular. Okay, maybe it wasn't such a surprise theme as they both seemed to have guessed the pond dwelling water bird motif I'd devised long before they arrived. However I had great fun making hundreds and hundreds of black and white duck shaped table confetti and devising an entirely duck based menu.
After much pondering and poring over cookery books I settled on the following feast:


Duck carpaccio and plum sald
Duck, spring onion and hoisin sauce tart
Duck en croute with asparagus and Jersey Royals

Lemon posset
Chocolate and ginger cheesecake à la duck

Though I must admit that the lemon posset was somewhat duck-free but other than serving it in duck adorned espresso cups, which I rather shockingly don't possess, there was little I could do on that front.

When my thoughts turned to this year's birthday I had to think of something to trump last year. And then I decided, why not continue with the duck theme but this time get a table at The Fat Duck - digger, digger, digger ding, ding, ding, ding!
This time Heston can be in charge of the cooking though I doubt very much if it will be served in duck shaped containers, it's an amusing thought! Instead I think we will experience the sound of the sea on our borrowed iPods, get to finally the sample the much lauded infamous snail porridge and egg and bacon ice cream (nitro-scrambled, if you will!) and get to luxuriate in the sheer decadence that is Heston's tasting menu.
The countdown to the Fat Duck-tacular starts now, the table is booked, D and I have started to devise a suitably stunning outfit for the occasion and MC's wondering if he can get away without anymore new shoes in his life.
I cannot wait!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, shoes or food - food or shoes? Luckily on this occasion I may have to surrender to both!
D xx