Saturday, September 09, 2006

First bite of the Big Apple

When the divas hit town everything has to be just perfect:

Fine Italian suit - check √

Elegant silk tie - check √

Little black dress - check √

Bling – check √

Tiara - check √

Totally stupendous food - check √

I’d done extensive research for the big meal in the Big Apple; I’d consulted the Michelin guide, New York magazine, other random guides and asked friends and colleagues. Naturally, the more places I consulted the more recommendations I had. But a few had seemed to stand above the rest. Banana eating M and C (whose banana eating consumption I am unaware of!) have raved about Per Se and so have many others. It is one of the three Michelin starred restaurants in New York, comes from the fabulous Thomas Keller stable and New York magazine had given it four out of five stars and declared it to be the third best restaurant in New York. I had tried and failed to get a table so carried on looking. The new Gordon Ramsay venture – London – in New York was a very attractive proposition to me being an ardent admirer of his work. However the restaurant wasn’t open in time for this visit, so one for next time maybe. So the restaurant I actually booked was Le Bernardin. This was another three Michelin starred restaurant (currently one of three in New York) and New York magazine felt it was worthy of five stars and THE best restaurant in New York.

DD – thank you for the excellent idea for the ‘fork in the Big Apple’ picture above, I couldn’t use the original as there was too much text but I whipped this up and added a bit of a sunset. I hope you approve?




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I do indeed approve of the forked Manhattan skyline! I love your work J! DDx