Friday, August 04, 2006

W.W.J.E.?

That’s a very good question, “what would J eat?” I was asked this recently when booking my digital photography and gourmet food holiday in France. I didn’t want to scare my hosts with a huge list of dislikes – see my rapidly expanding black list. So I kept it simple I mentioned that French food was always my favourite but that my bête noire would definitely have to be the dreaded tomatoes. This seemed to alarm them greatly as if everything they eat is tomato based. Well I guess someone’s got to, but it’s not going to be me! I wonder what they’d think if I also reeled off my dislike of peppers, curry, coffee, whipped cream, mayonnaise, bananas, okra, plantain, coriander, goat’s cheese and many other things? They’d probably ask me to bring enough sandwiches for a week!
I guess I could have just presented them with the top foods list I put together for my Simon Hopkinson book homage. That would be Artichoke, Asparagus , Bacon, Basil, Beef, Bread, Brie , Brussels Sprouts, Butter, Butternut Squash, Cauliflower , Chambord, Chicken, Chocolate, Crab , Duck, Eggs, Foie gras, Garlic, Ginger , Ice cream, Leeks , Lemons, Lobster , Mâche, Scallops, Monkfish, Mozzarella, Mushrooms , Mussels, Mustard, Oranges, Pancakes, Pancetta, Parma ham, Parmesan, Pasta, Pepper(corns), Pineapple, Plaice, Potatoes, Purple sprouting broccoli, Raspberries, Risotto rice , Salmon, Sausages and Truffles. I think I could have a fabulous week eating my way through this lot.
Though in retrospect I could have just said – when all else fails, feed me mashed potato. I wouldn’t mind, honest!

No comments: