Tuesday, July 25, 2006

You are being counted!

Apparently most blogs only last 4 months and then peter out but I can assure you gentle reader (I've always wanted to write that!) that I haven't finished eating yet so there's plenty more to write about! In honour of passing the 4-month milestone I've finally figured how to add a visitor counter to my blog. The black on black one was a little too stealthful even for me but the white version seems to be doing its job.
I've been asked quite a few times recently why I started a blog. I fell into it like many people do I guess. I was reading someone else's and I thought 'I could do that!' and frankly it's very easy. Though that begs the question - why would I want to? In the past I'd made several attempts to record fabulous meals and interesting things I'd seen or read but a Palm Pilot that inconveniently crashed and having my purse and notebook stolen from my handbag meant that various efforts were thwarted. I contribute to the Harden's restaurant guide each year and I generally could remember the restaurants but not always the food, and this is a good as medium as any to record my ramblings or rumblings. Initially I didn’t tell anyone about my blog and intended keeping it secret - yes, I know secret on the Internet is rather an oxymoron! But when I let slip to D that I had a blog, she was very persuasive. And then M wanted to read about our trip on the OE to Venice so I gave her the address also.
I want it to be all about the food and less about me, hence the anonymous profile. I am positive I have written nothing that could possibly offend my employer but I don't need my clients to look at me differently because they don't share my love of mash potatoes. And I have read Dooce and am very well aware the power of blogs. And I do have other interests beyond food... occasionally, like shiny, sparkly things, Coco Chanel and West Wing but I thought I'd write about something I get to do everyday (and a weblog about breathing seems a little biological!)
I guess it is indulgent but as the theme of my blog seems to be indulgence, it all appears very fitting! So it's my indulgence!
Now back to the eating…!

No comments: