Friday, January 18, 2008

I'm only happy eating happy chickens!

I know I'm a little late but I wanted to add my support to Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall and Jamie Oliver's campaign to raise the awareness of the dreadful plight of both egg laying and bred for meat chickens. I was fully aware of battery hens and have not knowingly eaten a battery farmed egg for many years but the programmes did raise that niggle of 'not knowingly'. When we buy our eggs we can bypass the cheap eggs and go straight to those from happy chickens and personally I am a huge fan of the Clarence Court Cotswold Legbar chicken eggs and in fact many of their finest ovoids - all can be viewed on their marvellous hen-cam! I recommend a dawn or dusk visit as otherwise you'll be staring at the chicken sheds and wonder if a fox got there before you.
But I can make a choice when I buy my eggs of chickens but do I really know what's going on when I buy a ready made dish? The whole concept of using 'wet eggs' and the scary looking 'long egg' really sent a chill down my spine. I think like many I am going to have to ask a lot more questions and look more closely at what I am buying in the future. I only want to eat happy chickens.
If you haven't done so already, please add your support to the Chicken Out campaign, perhaps the supermarkets will listen eventually and these awful intensive practices will finally be outlawed.
Click here to add your name to the list - and you'll be rewarded with a happy cluck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cluck, cluck! Let's hope chicken lovers everywhere join the campaign.
D x